When planning to renovate or build a new bathroom it is important to consider who will be using the bathroom and new additions to the family mean changes to your living spaces which include the bathrooms. Depending on the age of your children you may need to adapt your bathroom to suit their needs and they key considerations to think about include safety, organisation and maintenance.
Here are our top three considerations when you’re planning a child-friendly bathroom.
We understand that kids love to play in the bat-tub and it is also their down time to relax before they get ready for bed so safety in this space is critical. Our recommendations to create a child friendly design which incorporate safety includes:
- Non slip surface tiles: Essential for every bathroom where children are living, for peace of mind it is recommended to opt for a textured surface tiles for the complete floor of the bathroom.
- Install a textured slip resistant flooring for the shower
- Select a bath spout which swivels to the side to ensure the kids don’t knock their head when playing in the bathtub
- Choose bathtub and basin with smooth curve surfaces to prevent any knocks.
- Recommended to install thermostatic mixer in the shower to monitor temperature to prevent dangerous scalds.
- Add a step stool so the kids can easily use the vanity and allow them to reach items on the bench without overstretching and knocking things over.
- Ditch the towel rails and opt for hooks, they can turn into a hazard in the bathroom with children.
- Taps not mixers which will help the kids to optimise the temperature control easier and prevent burns.
Design an organised & practical space
Ensuring your bathroom space operates for a family is imperative for a successful daily routine
- Select a vanity with plenty of storage, so it is easy for the children to access their daily essentials and not cause a mess
- If you have a large enough space install a 2 basins, this will help with your morning and nightly bathroom routine
- Install handy hooks on the back of the door to ensure wet towels aren’t placed on the floor
Cleanliness & Hygiene Requirements
Every child loves splashing around in the bathroom and causing endless mess for the parents so it is helpful to install items that will minimise this and leave you extra time to enjoy and relax.
- Install a wall hung vanity and toilet suite. This will allow you to easily mop underneath the fixtures and clean them easily
- Consider a rimless toilet suite. By removing the rim it will allow for easy cleaning with no germs or dirt to accumulate, a new innovation in toilet suites. View the Roca Rimless
- Choose bathroom water resistant paint designed for bathrooms to prevent mould build up, we recommend Dulux Kitchen & Bathroom wash and wear.
- Select tiles that are high quality and resistant to water as kids love splashing in the bath
Get Started for a Child Friendly Bathroom
Book in a FREE in-home consultation with one of our expert designers to find out how you can incorporate a child friendly design in your renovation and kickstart your renovation goals today.