How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost in 2024?

How to Prioritize Your Spending During a Bathroom Remodel

If you’re considering a bathroom remodel in Sydney in 2024 but aren’t sure about the costs involved, this article will help clarify what you can expect.

Before delving into the average cost of a professional bathroom remodel, let’s briefly touch on the cost of a DIY bathroom renovation. While hiring an all-inclusive renovation service might seem more expensive upfront, it can actually save you money in the long run.

The key to a successful and lasting renovation lies in expert planning and management. From creating innovative, cost-effective designs to scheduling and managing multiple trades and sourcing the perfect materials, there’s a lot to orchestrate before the first tile is laid. Small setbacks can have a ripple effect, so every decision needs to be carefully made to avoid delays and budget overruns.

Many people hesitate to start a renovation project, especially if they lack experience. The thought of managing a bathroom remodel while juggling other responsibilities can be daunting. Fortunately, as seasoned experts, we can handle renovations of all sizes, ensuring your budget is used effectively at every stage of the process.

How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?

While there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, you should budget an average of $26,000 to $49,000 for a professionally managed bathroom renovation. This includes everything from design, demolition, trades, fixtures, fittings, cleaning, and intensive scheduling and management, plus long-term maintenance guarantees.

For larger-scale projects, expect to set aside more. Covering more square meters, doing structural work like tearing down walls or moving plumbing points, and adding luxury inclusions all add up.

In 2024, we anticipate continued interest in smart hygiene solutions, with clients wanting to learn more about smart toilets, touchless taps, and other sanitary innovations. It’s worth considering saving extra for upgrades like smart toilets and sensor taps to reduce touchpoints in the bathroom.

Understanding the Breakdown of Costs

Labour for the Bathroom Renovation

Bathrooms are labour-intensive, with 70% of the overall cost going to trades and labour, and the remaining 30% allocated to materials and finishes. High-quality waterproofing and plumbing work are essential for longevity, so this is not an area to skimp on. Moving plumbing points or adding elements like separate overhead and hand showers will increase costs. With Fresher Bathrooms, you don’t need to worry about separate trade costs – there’s only one price, and it doesn’t change!

Size of the Bathroom

Generally, a smaller bathroom renovation will cost less due to covering less square footage. Larger spaces require more materials, labour time, and products.

Vanity Selections and Joinery

Cabinetry costs depend on job complexity and finish quality. Custom vanity units are pricier, as are timber veneer finishes compared to laminates. If you’re on a tight budget, ready-made vanity units can look fantastic without the higher cost. Your designer can recommend the best solutions to suit your home and budget.


Tiling is a significant cost in bathrooms. The higher your walls, the more surface area to cover, which means more materials and labour. However, tiling from floor to ceiling isn’t always necessary. Strategically placed tiles can create a high-impact look without breaking the bank.

Bathroom Products

Without careful planning, your budget can quickly be exhausted on products. With so many options, finding what fits your budget, looks great, and lasts is crucial. At Fresher Bathrooms, our qualified Detailers help you make the best product choices for your renovation.

Bathroom Upgrades

There are many ways to upgrade your bathroom, from heated towel rails to underfloor heating. Discuss all options with us to create the perfect bathroom for you and your family.

bathroom renovations bondi

Overall, a good rule of thumb is to allocate 5 to 10% of your home’s value for your renovation, including wet areas like the bathroom, kitchen, and laundry.

Thinking long-term is essential when budgeting for a renovation. Trusting your renovation to a full-service professional ensures you maximise your budget, achieve high-quality results, and receive ongoing support. Renovating your bathroom or kitchen can add significant value to your home, potentially increasing it by as much as $250,000.

If you want to learn more about professional bathroom or kitchen renovations and the potential costs for your home, book your in-home consultation with a member of our interior design team. It’s a great place to start!