Do you live in Sydney and want to know how much it will cost to fix up your old bathroom?
You may have heard that construction costs have gone up a lot since the pandemic, rising inflation, problems with the supply chain, etc. We used to be able to remodel a bathroom for as little as $15,000 as late as 2021, but this is no longer possible in Sydney. The price of some building materials has gone up by as much as 500%.
Here’s how much it costs to remodel a bathroom in Sydney right now:
Most bathroom renovations cost between $20,000 and $35,000.
Structure-based and high-end bathroom remodels: $35,000 and up
You might still find online articles that say bathroom renovations can be done for as little as $15,000. However, these articles are probably out of date, trying to save money somewhere, or using prices from somewhere else in Australia.
A new bathroom not only makes your home look better, but it can also make it worth more. Instead of “guesstimating” how much your bathroom renovation will cost, this guide will give you a more complete look, from a new shower to upgraded tapware, so you can make a better, smarter decision. This guide has been updated for 2022 to help you understand rough price ranges and budget for the cost of remodelling your bathroom in the current housing and building market.
Prices for bathroom renovations start at $20,000 and go up from there.
Get your new bathroom done on time and on budget by working with professionals.
How much different types of bathroom renovations cost on average?
There are many different kinds of renovations, ranging from small changes to full bathroom remodels and high-end upgrades. When remodelling a bathroom, you need to think about plumbing, tiling, cabinets, tubs, sinks, vanities, shower screens, faucets, and toilet bowls. If you know how much things will cost, you can make a more accurate budget for your plans to make changes. If you are remodelling a bathroom and don’t have your own plans, you will probably also need to budget for design and drafting costs.
Square metre rates
You can also use what are called “square metre rates” to get a very rough idea of how much your renovation will cost. From what we’ve seen, it costs between $2500 and $4500 per square metre to remodel a bathroom in a home. Most of the time, the cost per square metre is higher the smaller the bathroom or the higher the specs. If you multiply your bathroom’s floor area by each of these two numbers, you can get a good idea of how much it will cost. Obviously, you still need a quote from a professional to find out how much it will really cost.
A typical bathroom remodel will cost between $20,000 and $35,000.
If you don’t want to move any of the fixtures, you could redo your bathroom for as little as $20,000 and make it look brand new. For a bathroom remodel in Sydney, you can expect to pay between $20,000 and $35,000. How much it costs to remodel a bathroom depends mostly on how big it is and where you live. To stay in this price range for a standard mid-range bathroom remodel, you’ll have to make some sacrifices, like keeping the electrical and plumbing locations the same. Complete bathroom renovations or renovations for bigger bathrooms tend to cost more because they involve more tiling or high-end features like vanity stone benches and double sinks. In a typical bathroom remodel, you might:
– New taps and vanities
– Sealing all the wet spots
– Putting in new toilets
– Put up shower doors and mirrors.
– New sink and cabinet
– Tiling the floor and walls
– Installing ventilation fans and towel rails
– Getting a new bathtub and upgrading it
– Putting in new pipes and fixing plumbing where necessary
– Getting rid of trash
Structural and high-end bathroom renovation – $35,000 or more
In a structural renovation, your bathroom is taken down to its studs and redone from top to bottom. Fixtures are moved, new pipes are put in, and new tiles are put down. In this case, you would have to pay more than $35,000. Be aware of how much this kind of bathroom renovation in Australia will cost. Most of the time, a luxury bathroom remodel costs $40,000 or more. If your budget is this high or higher, you can get fancier fittings like intricate mosaic designs, heated floors, fancy lighting, frameless shower screens, freestanding bathtubs, and high-quality tiles. Some of the things that could happen are:
– Floor levelling
– Taking down walls or putting them up
– Putting in a new bathtub, toilet, and shower screen
– Fixtures for plumbing and electricity, like lights
– Taking floor and wall tiles off and putting them back on
– Putting in new sinks, mirrors, and towel racks with heat
– Putting in new pipes for the bathroom and shower
– Put in a new system for heating water
– Sealing all the wet spots
– New windows or skylights are examples of additions.
– Bringing all fixtures up to the standards in Australia
– Changes to the structure, like taking down or building a new wall (to remove a load-bearing wall, a building permit is required at an additional cost)
– Getting rid of trash
Why is the layout of your bathroom so important to your home?
Many homeowners don’t realise how important it is to have a well-designed bathroom layout, but you’d be surprised at how much value this can add. The design of your bathroom should show who you are and how you live, as well as the style of your home. Your initial design consultation is one of the best times to talk about everything you want so that you can get a practical renovation plan that brings your vision to life within your budget and time frame. Here are some things to talk about with the designer of your bathroom:
– How much space is there, and how can you make the best use of it? Bathroom design is based a lot on how much space there is.- Do you need to make big changes, like moving the shower or putting in a new tub?
– What do you need to store? You might need more space to store things like towels, toiletries, and bathroom supplies.
– Is there someone in your family who is old or has special needs? You might need handrails, more space for wheelchairs, and other things.
– What do you have to have? Make a list of the features you must have so that you can work with the design team to make them happen.
A professional company’s design for a pre-planned bathroom gives you a clear idea of what it will look like, so you can make changes before it’s built. The best budgets always include the cost of hiring a professional designer because this lowers the chance of big problems and big repair bills in the future. Professional designers and bathroom remodelers know how to maximise space and improve the look of your bathroom without making it feel like an afterthought.
How long does it take to renovate a bathroom in Australia?
How long it takes to finish a bathroom depends on a lot of things, like how much research you do, how you plan it, how you design it, how you put it all together, and who you work with.
Research and Design
Depending on your needs, the research and design phase can take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks. This usually includes your first meeting, time to think about the design, finding different fixtures and materials, and getting your approval on the plans.
When you’re happy with the design and layout, you can start working on the project itself. The average time it takes to remodel a bathroom here will depend on how big of a job you want to do.
– Once all the materials and people to do the work have been found, a small renovation can be done in one to two weeks.
– Depending on how many trades are needed, a standard bathroom can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to build.
– Depending on how big the job is, like replacing tiles and plumbing, a structural or luxury renovation may take even longer to finish.
Remember that any changes to the structure will take more time, especially if you have to move electrical or plumbing equipment. There should also be room for the unexpected, like finding asbestos in your walls or a leak you didn’t know about.
Mistakes during a renovation or realising halfway through that your plans won’t work can change your timeline and cost a lot. For the best results and to help you stick to your planned renovation budget, it’s important to make sure an experienced bathroom renovator manages your project from start to finish.
START THE TRANSFORMATION
Are you ready to renovate your bathroom? Our Fresher bathrooms team are the leading experts in Sydney, experienced with design and construction, we help you with small or large scale projects. With completed over 100 bathroom projects and many reviews from previous clients, we are proud to offer our clients 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. Contact us today for a design consultation, book online or call 0466 594 042.